All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is © Shelly Kuck.
My original artwork is for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for publication or contest submission.
Enjoy your Visit!

Slideshow

Monday, August 25, 2008

Maple Tree Paintings

In honor of one of our big ole maple trees that will be coming down in the next day, I am sharing samples made with a soon to be released stamp sheet from Innovative Stamp Creations  The "new" part of our historic home is 101 years old this year and the trees are visible in a photo that dates back to some time before 1874.  It is a sad day to have to take the tree down, but I guess the alternative of it crashing through the roof is even sadder.  We have tried to no avail to get a tree service to come take it down, but nobody wants to tackle this tree.  The challenge is that it is on top of a big hill and the drive way and road are cut into the hill making the tree harder to access.  My hubby has the week off work and is going to take on the task with a friend who happens to own a bucket truck.  The last time they trimmed the tree, the police actually stopped traffic while they dropped a big limb.  Hopefully they will be willing to stop again this time. I think I need to leave the house for this, getting nervous just putting my thoughts here!

 Good Neighbor_SaK

The first 2 cards were created by coloring the tree stamp with Copic Markers, misting with rubbing alcohol and stamping on Vanilla CS and then Vellum without re-coloring.  There was enough ink to stamp 2 images.  The finished vellum card below, was layered on Scrapperdashery DP.  (the vellum was run through my Xyron using one sided adhesive before affixing it to the DP)  The photo turns were die cut with Spellbinders shapeabilities.  Hinges set.  After embossing them, I sponged the ruby CS with Encore Copper ink before removing the cuts from the die. 

Solitude Maple Tree Paintings_SaK 002 

Here's a photo of the 2 stamped images I got from coloring the rubber once w/ copics and misting w/ rubbing alcohol.  The vellum was backed with rust CS to photograph it.

Solitude Maple Tree Paintings_SaK 001

This sample uses a new embossing folder called Floral Screen that was swiped with Adirondack pigment white ink.  The Ruby, coral & White layers were cut and embossed with Spellbinders Classic Rectangles sm. & lg.  The dbl. ended tag is also a spellbinders die. 

Beauty in Simplicity SP_SaK 

Have a great day, I hope to fit the challenge in if I can get past the distractions here.........

 

11 comments:

  1. Shelly these trees look awesome! I like the middle on the most. Its such a rich autumn tree, awesome job girly! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful cards. Love them all. Good luck taking the tree down. To remember it, why not save some of the wood and make something...plant stand, table,craving, frames etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Shelly...Too bad about the tree, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Wishing your DH a safe week off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about the tree. We had to have 2 that were 100+ yrs. old taken down due to storm damage and one of them had hit the house! You will miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three projects are a big WOW!!
    I love each of them!!
    I really like the last one--and how you used the frames around the main image!!
    STUNNING!

    Good luck with the tree!! I bet the boys are thinkin'--SWEET--FIREWOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Shelly! These are outstanding!! I would not be able to begin to tell you wich one I like best!

    So sorry about your tree! Best of luck to your DH!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These trees are amazing! I probably would never have thought to try an alcohol ink directly on the stamp. Glad to know it works this well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly, all three of these are just spectacular. I have been toying with getting Copics and you are probably really selling me on the deal. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I would be nervous too! Hope everything goes well!

    Your cards are drop-dead gorgeous! The alcohol/Copic technique on these is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Shelly, all of these cords are gorgeous! Your house sounds wonderful! It is sad for the tree...but it will be safer once it's gone. I also totally feel your pain-be out of the house while they are doing it, it would freak me out. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping & telling me what you think!