All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is © Shelly Kuck.
My original artwork is for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for publication or contest submission.
Enjoy your Visit!

Slideshow

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Many Faces of Time

This is a chipboard tag that measures 8 1/2" tall & 5" wide. All stamps are available from Rubbernecker Stamp Co.
in the Stamp Oasis and Rubbernecker categories. The keys and key hole are grungeboard by
Tim Holtz and are also available from Rubbernecker. I included a photo of the collage after stamping in Tim Holtz Tea Dye and Walnut Stain inks. Now that I look at that photo,
I realize that I would like to make a similar tag, eliminating the grungeboard and all the sponging. A listing of stamps and inks will follow my how to's. Here goes:

Plan A, affix DP by K&Company to chipboard. Stamp all images using a stamp positioner and a baby wipe to remove ink from sections of stamps I didn't want to stamp. Sponge with distress inks, stamp and emboss sentiment. Then, I got the brilliant idea use a moist baby wipe to "wick" the ink for a softer look. Well, it worked but buckled the dp. OK, I can fix that..... Get out the iron and smooth it out avoiding the embossing. Now is where Plan A
really fails. A quick blast of Krylon matte finish before going out for dinner. Note to self, that buckles the dp even more. 2nd note to self, ironing the piece with a matte finish will only make it stick to the iron or scrap paper placed over the top.

Plan B, tear ruined layer off and start over. All is going well until I turn the stamp positioner the wrong way because my cat was "helping" me.

Plan C, is what you see here. 12 ink pads, 10 stamps, many baby wipes for eliminating ink from parts of the rubber and lots of masking and sponging to get to this point. You should see my stained fingers! The Time Collage stamp was used for the pocket watch and clocks, sun and cherub face. I inked a portion of the stamp I wanted to use, stamped it on my stamp positioner sheet and then used a baby wipe to remove ink that surrounded the image I wanted to stamp. By using the baby wipe, it left a nice soft feathered edge and I am sure the properties of the distress inks helped the process. The grungeboard was smooshed with Versamark ink and embossed with copper EP and then swiped with Stazon Black. I sanded the finished pieces to take some of the sheen off them. Oh, forgot to mention that I sponged the edges of the finished
tag with walnut stain ink and then took Versafine onyx black and swiped it on the edges of the chipboard tag to finish things off. Here's the supplies:
Rubbernecker Stamps:
Time Collage 1611-SO, Moonchild 1112-SO, French Block 5250-SO, Ancient Heart 1232-SO, Maker of Dreams 1729-SO, Baroque BG 123 -SO, Womans Face 1890-01 RN, Peacock Feather 189-05 RN, Garden Urn 189-08 RN, Angel Sculpture 189-04 RN

Inks: Versafine onyx black, Versamark, Stazon Black. Tim Holtz Distress inks: Walnut Stain, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Old Paper, Shabby Shutter, Scattered Straw, Tattered Rose, Weathered Wood, Aged Mahogany.

Fibers: Basic Grey Periphery & Infuse collections.

3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    That tag is amazing!!! And then the grunge board lock and key!! It is absolutely amazing!

    What a cool project!! I think the final result is worth all the do overs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most EXCELLENT artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killing me -- GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping & telling me what you think!